Doherty Welcomes Convoy Treatment Plant Announcement

Sinn Féin Councillor Liam Doherty has welcomed confirmation from both Donegal County Council and Irish Water that contracts have now been signed for the upgrading of the waste water treatment plant in Convoy.

The plans, which form part of an €18.4 million investment in wastewater infrastructure in Donegal, will see the construction of an extended sewerage plant to serve the town’s future waste water needs.

Cllr Doherty said:

“This week’s announcement by authorities that contracts have now been signed to enable this project to proceed is of course to be welcomed.

“It has been well known for some time now that Convoy’s sewerage collection infrastructure was not up to standard and this issue has long been a source of great frustration for local residents and business owners.

“In fact, the town’s wastewater network was found to be ‘inadequate’ by the Enviornmental Protection Agency when a report into the area’s current plant was published a few years ago and since then I have been lobbying on behalf of local residents for the current network to be upgraded.

“In March last year, I had contacted a number of locals to update them on the scheme when it was first confirmed that Convoy was to be included in the Donegal ‘Group B’ Sewerage Scheme, meaning that the town’s sewerage plant was to be upgraded.

“Now, I am pleased to finally have it confirmed that the design of the new collection and treatment system is to begin in the coming weeks and it’s expected that the extension to the plant will be completed within the next two years.

“I think it’s important to acknowledge the efforts of the community here in Convoy who, throughout this entire process, have been tremendous and their lobbying and campaigning to have this 

Government Inaction to blame for Overcrowding Crisis at Letterkenny University Hospital – Doherty

Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has blasted the government over its failure to tackle the overcrowding crisis at Letterkenny University Hospital after the latest figures reveal that a total of 2,814 patients in total spent time on trolleys, chairs and additional beds at the hospital in 2015.

 

Deputy Doherty says that the figures, which he has sourced through the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation’s ‘Trolley Watch’ register, prove that despite previous promises made by the Government that overcrowding was being addressed, the problem is still being ignored.

Continue Reading

Closure of Donegal Town Revenue Service ‘Disgraceful’ – Doherty

Pearse Doherty

Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has today (Thursday) branded the recent closure of Revenue Commissioners Customer Service desk in Donegal Town as ‘disgraceful’ and has serious questions about the consultation process which took place prior to a formal decision having been made to close the service.

 

The walk-in counter service which had operated from Donegal Town’s Public Services Centre and which had previously been open to members of the public was suspended in July following a decision by Revenue Commissioners to close the office.

Continue Reading

Government Must Commit to Derry-Dublin Air Route – Doherty

Sinn Féin Councillor Gary Doherty has today (Tuesday) called on the government to commit to providing funding for the proposed Derry-Dublin air route.

Councillor Doherty’s calls come following a recent request made by authorities at City of Derry Airport for the Government to allocate funding for the route which is expected to commence in April 2016. It is understood that £185,551 stg. from the UK Government’s Regional Air Connectivity Fund for the project has already received stage 1 approval.

Continue Reading