Sean Mac Diarmada centenary commemoration

Details for the Sean Mac Diarmada centenary commemoration

Guest speaker will be Mary Lou McDonald TD

People are encouraged to wear period dress if possible.

Friday 6th of May
• 5:30 pm Opening of weekend at Sean Mac Diarmada cottage
• 7 pm Lecture in Heritage Centre: Leitrim’s Republican Story, Cormac Ó Suilleabhain
• 8 pm to late – Sean Mac Diarmada Boxing Club tournament; Kiltyclogher Community Centre
Saturday 7th of May
• 1916 Rising Tribute Concert, 8:30 pm, Kiltyclogher Community Centre

Sunday 8th of May
• 11:15 am, Mass in memory of Sean Mac Diarmada, St Patrick’s church, Kiltyclogher
• The annual parade will take place at 2.30pm from Straduffy Cross. The Main speaker at this year’s event will be Mary Lou Mc Donald TD Vice President Sinn Fein before a special wreath laying ceremony. The committee welcomes all visitors to dress in 1916 attire and join the Irish volunteers and marching bands parading to the village.

Post Office Plans a ‘Backwards Step’ – Ó Fearraigh

Commenting on the planned reconfiguration of postal services in West Donegal, Cllr John Shéamais Ó Fearraigh has today said:

“This is a step backwards by An Post with regards to Derrybeg post office and the relocating of staff to the sorting office in Falcarragh.

“I have been in contact with An Post concerning this issue, and members of the community here in Gaoth Dobhair have contacted me to express their fears that this development may be a step towards the possible closure of the local office in the future.

“The process of sorting mail has been carried out for many years in Derrybeg. These plans will affect mail personnel also who will now have to travel to and from Falcarragh on a daily basis.

“I am awaiting correspondence from An Post in relation to a number of questions such as what benefit this change will have; what savings will result from these plans or indeed if any extra expense will be incurred.

“In my opinion, these plans are not in the best interest of the local community and therefore I cannot support the proposed changes.”

National Broadband Plan Delay ‘Unacceptable’ - Doherty

Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has today (Wednesday) blasted the outgoing Government for its admission this week that the National Broadband Strategy, which was to ensure that every citizen and business, regardless of location, would have access to high speed broadband by 2020, will now not be fully rolled out until 2022 at the earliest.

The admission comes following a Dáil Question tabled by Deputy Doherty to the Minister for Communications in which he was asked to give a timeline for the completion of the multi-million euro intervention strategy. In his reply, Minister Alex White confirmed that all premises would not now be connected for at least another 5 years after the procurement process which is expected to be completed in 2017.

Deputy Doherty said:

“The Minister’s admission yesterday that the Government’s National Broadband Strategy, which was to see high speed broadband delivered to every home and business across this state by 2020, will now not be completed on time is simply unacceptable.

“When this plan was formally launched last year, both Fine Gael and Labour proudly boasted of how the Government was to invest €275 million on the construction of high quality broadband infrastructure which would deliver complete broadband coverage across the state.

“In fact, before the recent General Election, both parties included the National Broadband Strategy in their respective election manifestos in which they boasted of how the out-going Government would achieve its target of having the service rolled-out by 2020.

“We now know, following the Minister’s admission to a question which I tabled this week in the Dáil, that that deadline will now not be met and that the National Broadband Plan will not be completed until 2022 at the earliest.

“This delay is simply not acceptable and the pushing back of the expected roll-out of high speed broadband is yet another slap in the face for rural areas which remain without good quality broadband connections.

“Homes and business in Donegal, a county which has the worst broadband speeds on this island, will now be forced to wait even longer before they can access what is an essential service – this is unacceptable.

“The Government has been forced to hold its hands up and admit that they lied about the timeframe for the completion of the National Broadband Plan, and what’s worse is that they actively sought to mislead people simply for their own political gain.

“The truth is that neither Fine Gael nor Labour care about providing essential public services such as broadband into areas and communities which so desperately need them in order to grow and to reverse years of economic decline.”

Doherty Challenges Minister on 19 Week Processing Time for Carer’s Allowance as Donegal Carers Go Months without Vital Payment

Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has branded the current 19 week average processing times for applications for Carer’s Allowance as a ‘disgrace’ and has demanded that the Minister immediately takes action to reduce the wait faced by applicants seeking the payment.

Deputy Doherty’s comments come following confirmation received last week from the out-going Minister for Social Protection that the average time taken at present by the Department to decide on new applications is running at 19 weeks.

Deputy Doherty said:

“Following increasing reports from Constituents of the lengthy delays they’re experiencing in having their applications for the Carer’s Allowance payment processed, I decided to raise the matter with the out-going Minister.

“In her response, the Minister confirmed that the average length of time which it is now taking to decide on applications is currently running at 19 weeks for new applicants.

“It is simply a disgrace to think that those on low incomes and who are dutifully caring for someone who is in need of their support due to sickness or ill-health is forced to have to wait for almost five months before their application for this crucial entitlement is formally decided on.

“This shameful situation is indicative of how the out-going Government undervalues the work which full-time carers provide to some of the most vulnerable in our society.

“To ask anyone who is carrying out such important and lifesaving work that they have to wait months before they receive a payment is simply not good enough and cannot go unchallenged.

“This week, I will be raising this matter again with the Minister in which I’ll be asking her to outline specifically what measures she plans to put in place to greatly reduce current processing times in respect of the Carer’s Allowance payment which is a vital source of income for carers from across the state.”